Now that football season has started and the Orioles are on pace to lose almost every game in September, there seems to be little reason to watch them play.
I beg to differ.
Without further adieu, here are the top 10 reasons I still (truly) watch Oriole games in September:
10. Morbid curiosity.
9. You visit relatives in the hospital don't you? Even if they've been in a coma for 10 years, you'd still check them out once in a while, wouldn't you?
8. Aubrey Huff's chase for the Triple Crown.
7. Dave Trembley's inability to hide his contempt for his own pitching staff.
6. To hear Jim Palmer talk about Jim Palmer, mixed in with an anecdote about a guy who just so happens to go by the name of Jim Palmer.
5. Because you just never know when Brandon Fahey might slap a single to left, providing inspiration for every 5-10, 150 pounder who thought the majors were out of reach.
4. To see if Daniel Cabrera "finds it," or be-heads a hitter.
3. Because it's baseball and baseball is good, even when it's really, really, really bad.
2. To try to catch instances when the camera is forced to show how empty the stands are.
AND the number one reason to continue watching Orioles baseball is:
1. The heroic optimism of Jim Hunter.